Still on a role with these miniature paintings!
My fourth post-card sized painting in this media and format. I don't know why but I do love sunsets and the colourful displays which are possible. This painting is actually based on a reference photograph which I "borrowed". I never actually copy - I am not clever enough for that, but inspect my reference photos (maybe try one or two thumbnail sketches) and decide how I am going to tackle my version.
I decide on:-
- Size (although to be fair this is often decided and I look for subjects to match)
- Format (portrait / landscape)
- Media (for me, the choice is watercolour, pastel or acrylic)
- Colours (I often use alternative colours to express the mood I am trying to capture)
- How to simplify the chosen subject (I usually do simplify most of my paintings as it is colour and texture which I use mostly in my artwork)
- Exactly which elements of the reference to include (or I may add something else to tell the story I am describing)
- Lastly, knowing what I am going to do, I decide how I am going to tackle it. Maybe which colours to lay first, will the colours be built on layers or individually laid down and such mundane but important constructs. Will the be laid wet-on-wet or otherwise. Do I need to do any drawing before putting down any colour.