Sunday 4 April 2010

altered jigsaw pieces

Herre I am again apologising for my tardiness. I have really been so busy installing a new kitchen and my art/craft work is having to take second place. I thought for this post I would show some altered jigsaw pieces that I have been playing around with. They both have interesting background ( for me!) and are worth making a note of. I shall probably use the techniques again.

Twitterpatted

Created for a group challenge on PDA, The background was created from a crumpled chocolate wrapping, and the rest was simple collage. The only probalem was in getting the paper images to stick to the gold foil. As it was crumpled, there was not a lot of area for the glue to hold to. I had to use an acrylic sealer and then gave the whole surface a coat to finish it off. This image does not show the final coating/sealer. Twitterpatted is a word from a disney cartoon film, I think. I found it on a list of words for use on collages, and it seemed to fit in perfectly with the image of the owl. The raven was a second thought to balance the flowers at the bottom of the piece.

altered jigsaw; blue mood

This was for a challenge which I never managed to enter; too late!!! the theme was monochrome. I decided on blue as I rather liked the image of the lady from a series of bookmarks on a collage sheet from Kim Newberg. The background was done in two stages. A black tissue paper was layered to the piece to cover the image and this was covered by an open weave blue cloth, almost like fibre-glass I used to use to repair my old bangers when I was younger.

Larger copies of these images are available on my Flickr photostream, if you are interested.

Ok, thanks for your patience but I am now going back to the kitchen cupboards - what a way to spend a lovely sunny bank holiday sunday!

Additional information: The Twitterpatted piece is about 4.5 inches high. The Blue one is 6.5 inches.The first is actually a "double piece" and the second a Floor Puzzle. They are both quite thick childrens' puzzles. Although it is possible to alter much smaller pieces. they do provide creative issues that are not normally a problem on rectangular formats.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Your altered puzzle pieces are so beautiful. What a great idea. What size are they?

Good luck with the kitchen renovation. All the hard work will be worth it. We did the same thing about 6 years ago, doing most of the work ourselves and we enjoyed the whole process. Too bad we sold the house two years later. :)

Again, lovely work.

John Dyhouse said...

Hi Linda, thanks for the comments.

As for the size ( sorry should have included it) the Twitterpatted piece is about 4.5 inches high. The Blue one is 6.5 inches.

The first is actually a "double piece" and the second a Floor Puzzle. They are both quite thick childrens' puzzles. Although it is possible to alter much smaller pieces. they do provide creative issues that are not normally a problem on rectangular formats.

wendy kirk said...

Love the puzzle pieces John, especially the bird one.

John Dyhouse said...

thanks Wendy